Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Credit the Williams Sisters (I'm serious)

For not using the old "I was injured" excuse to explain their losses to the two higher-ranked Serbs, Ivanovic and Jankovic. Venus and Serena both lost in a similar fashion, going down a bit meekly in two sets. 

Carillo and McEnroe pointed out that these younger women play games that are similar to the Williams sisters, and they wondered whether they've figured out that these players have caught up to them. Perhaps. I agree with their overall assessment that the sisters can still be a factor, but only if they're willing to put in the time and commitment to tennis. 

Meanwhile, Justine Henin showed an unfortunate side to her personality after she got smoked 6-0, 604 by Sharapova. She blamed injury - of course! I've said all along that Henin is as classless in defeat as Venus and Serena, and her comments yesterday -"If i play my best I can't lose"- were straight out of the old Serena playbook. In reality, Sharapova looks sensational. The serving problems that plagued her last year appear to be gone. Nobody beats Henin 6-0 unless they're on fire.


No comments:

Blog Archive