Sunday, January 20, 2008

Dumb Americans Part III

(Photo by Scott Beale / Laughing Squid Some rights reserved.)

"My coach is from Australia. He lived in Melbourne. So he's here with his wife and his parents and their friends. It's kind of nice, they can show me around. It's just a nice city.

I'm not a big sightseer. And sometimes when you go to Europe, you have to see the Eiffel Tower and places like that. You don't have to see anything here, and I like that."

-- Twenty year-old American Sam Querrey

Ugh. Where to begin with this monstrosity? First of all, I must tell you that I forgive Andy for his boorishness and hope it is short-lived. And I forgive Serena for her Serena-ness because her blog is genius (and I'm not the only one who thinks so, the press at the AO love it).

Second, the only thing that saves Sam Q-boy is his age. Otherwise I'd become a Sam Q-Hater for sure. This is just so classic "Ugly American" it hurts.

Third, let's just say it: Oh, how terrible for poor Sammy-boy. He is forced to travel around the world and get paid for hitting tennis balls. Paid for wearing clothes. Paid for using a certain racquet. And worst of all, he feels pressured to see some of the world's most beautiful places. "Damn! That stupid Eiffel tower. I wanted to just sit home and play video games at the hotel, but now they're forcing me to tour Paris. God my life sucks!"

Fourth, it's kind of a shot at Melbourne. Dude, you're in Australia. You think there's nothing to see? Get over yourself. That was one hell of a dominant performance against Tursunov. But Djokavic kicked your ass all the way back to Cali. I guess I'm supposed to learn to like you because you're a Yank and I'm a Yank.

I can only hope you'll grow out of being a total moron, because that's the only way it'll happen

No comments:

Blog Archive